You're finally reaching your goal - buying a QC home - congratulations!
Below you'll find helpful info and tips to ease the final steps to home ownership.
FIRST and FOREMOST
• It's strongly recommended that you complete a final walk thru a day or two before closing to ensure all is well. If this is not yet confirmed, call (563) 271-7346 to set up a day and time.
• Ensure all utilities are switched over to your name the day of closing. TAP HERE for convenient contact information regarding utility companies, schools, and more.
SUGGESTIONS and INFORMATION
1) Ensure all locks are changed as soon as possible. The seller may be upstanding, but you don't know WHO might have an extra key.
2) Garage Door Opener It's recommended that you hire a qualified professional to change the garage door opener combination (and battery) on the pad and the door openers. However, if you want to do it yourself, TAP HERE For Video
3) Change furnace filter, and then change it every other month. This will help extend the life of your furnace. TAP HERE for short video
4) Furnace Call qualified QC homes professionals to clean and check your furnace to lower the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
5) With temps above 50 degrees, clean all gutters and downspouts to reduce your risk of winter's roof ice jam and more, which can lead to thousands of dollars in damages. It's always recommended to hire a qualified professional. However, if you want to do this yourself TAP HERE For Video
6) If you have a wood burning fireplace, call a professional Chimney Sweep to clean the fireplace and chimney to reduce your risk of chimney fire. Do NOT rely on Creosote sweeping, cleaning, buster (etc.) logs. These products don't compare to what a professional can do. Ensure to have your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned annually. TAP HERE for additional info
7) Properly install both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If these items are already installed, make sure they function properly. Also, change the batteries, which should be changed every 6 months.
8) Odd Smell If you notice a sudden non-pleasing odor in your basement, try pouring a large bucket of plain tap water down the basement floor drain(s). Especially during colder months, sometimes the trap dries allowing odors to escape. This usually takes care of the problem. If this doesn't work, call a qualified professional. TAP HERE to see a short video
If you know of anyone who is thinking about buying or selling a QC home, please give them our information... Again, congratulations!